Some people think that after they are done with the body paragraphs of their academic paper, they are pretty much done with the whole thing. However, this is far from being true. Conclusion is just as important as any other part of an essay, and it is extremely important to get it just right. How should you do it? Well, here are some tips that will definitely help you:
- Conclusion is supposed to be as brief as possible. In fact, the length that seems to work the best is about five to seven sentences. This gives you enough room to operate; however, you are still highlighting only the most important information. Just remember, a brief conclusion is usually the most impactful one.
- New information should never appear in conclusion. You should only go over information that you have already introduced to the reader and not add anything new. For this exact reason, it is a very bad idea to end your conclusion with a quote. Yes, yes, the easiest way to wrap up your essay, what it shows though is a lack of imagination.
- Remember that your conclusion is basically the reflection of your thesis statement. After reading just the thesis and the conclusion, a reader must already have a very precise image of what the whole thing looks like. You should always restate your thesis in your conclusion.
- If your dissertation gives a reader something to think about – you have done a great job. And this is what conclusions are for, making people think. Show them how the information they just received can be used out there in the real world, maybe even challenge them to act on it.
- There is a very interesting technique called “So what?” Whenever you make a statement, ask yourself “So what?” Whatever you have as an answer – this is what you want in your conclusion. This is how you ensure that your conclusion only consists of things that are truly important.
- Avoid clichés. When, for example, you are starting a conclusion for your personal statement, it’s very tempting to go with something like “In conclusion” or “In summary”, but they sound just plain boring. If there is a way to start with something different – use it.
Writing a worthy conclusion is complicated. However, with these few hints we hope you will have much less trouble doing it. Just remember, you can always ask us for help if you do not feel up to it or if the time is tight.